January 10, 2008

The Men in My Life

As I lie there, on the floor next to my slumbering son, tears develop in my eyes. Pondering the magnitude of what this tiny little person means to me, I can't help but get choked up. I am completely overwhelmed and humbled by the reality that I am this child's mother. My mind begins to reel and the tears begin to fall as I think upon the amazing men in my life.
For so much of my life, I sincerely doubted the likelihood of ever getting married. Yet, here I am…lying on the floor next to MY SON! For as much as I always loved children, I never knew that I would have any—because I didn’t really allow myself to believe in the dream that a man would find me marriage-worthy. But, now I sit here, a wife and a mother. And I stand in awe of the God that ordained it all. I can hardly believe how my life has unfolded, thus far.

Never did I expect to be this blessed, nor this humbled~

Blessed to be loved by a man who is beyond my wildest imagination and who loves me with pure disregard for my imperfections and failures. A man who vowed to me that he would do all he could to keep me from ever wondering, "what if?"
Blessed to have been part of creating this perfect little person—our son that we now can’t imagine our lives without.
Humbled to grasp the truth that were it not for my husband and I being designed specifically for one another, this very precious child would never have existed. Amazing.

So, why did I lay there in such awe? Because I began thinking of all the things I don’t deserve, the things of which I am unworthy... I began thinking of the men in my life—my Lord, my husband, my son, my brother, my dad and my father-in-law.

I have a Lord who loves me with no strings attached, no fine print, no clauses or amendments. A Lord who loves me simply because I am His child. A Lord who has bestowed upon me innumerable blessings.
I have a husband who emails me during the day just to tell me how grateful he is that I am the one home with our son. A husband who will do a crazy dance with me in the kitchen and has me laughing hysterically by the end of it.
I have a son who lights up with a grin from ear to ear when I come in and say "good mornin'" at the beginning of each new day.
I have a brother who can make me laugh by simply saying the word "pants". A brother who, without reservation, is willing to raise my son, if ever that were necessary.
I have a Dad who would truly do anything for me. A Dad who, when visiting, always finds something to fix and sincerely enjoys doing so, just because it is one less thing for me to have to do.
I have a father-in-law who says I can have anything in his house that I want. A father-in-law who makes sure there are fresh mini marshmallows in the house when I come over, just because he knows I like them on my hot chocolate.

Lying on the floor, a sobbing mess, I came to one conclusion...
I am one very blessed woman.

5 comments:

Jana said...

:) what a beautiful blog, rach! God truly IS AWESOME, isn't He??!!

Not Your Stepford Wife said...

I LOVE what you said! If I could write well I would say the same thing about the men in my life! :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Rachael
I loved what you said and honey God has truly blessed you and I know you are very grateful to Him.
I love you and will look forward to reading your blog. Blessings.DA

Lara said...

The Lord is so good and He knows exactly what we need! Thanks for sharing your heart and for being real! Love ya friend!

Anonymous said...

On the topic of your dad doing anything for you... I remember when he DROVE me up to the cabin so I could spend the 'girls' weekend with you... what an awesome man... I'll always appreciate him for reaching out to me and strengthening our friendship then like that... :)