January 7, 2009

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner...?

So, New Year's Eve was a little different this year. Well, it was a lot different this year, actually. We intended to have a low-key, casual "party" with my parents, my hubby's parents, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. So, as my mom and I were preparing the lasagna, the doorbell rang. I went to answer the door and it was my MIL and FIL. Okay, so nothing odd about that. I was obviously expecting them. However, what I wasn't expecting was for the doorbell to ring AGAIN literally seconds after the door was closed. I assumed it was my BIL and SIL, but didn't understand why the door would have been closed in their faces. So, I opened the door again. It was not my BIL and SIL. I was almost speechless and was most certainly dumbfounded at who I found standing on my doorstep. My 6th grade teacher, who happens to live in CA, was standing there with her husband. How random is that?!!
Well, my MIL was friends with my 6th grade teacher, Mrs. C., when she lived in CA. They have stayed in touch over the years. So, while visiting some of her husband's family, Mrs. C. realized she was only about an hour away from my MIL. Thus, she called my MIL up and asked if they could come by and say hello. Since my MIL and FIL already had planned to be at our house for New Year's Eve, they just decided to surprise us and bring Mrs. C and her husband to our NYE party.
I must say, for quite a while, I was just shocked that my 6th grade teacher was sitting at my kitchen counter, eating chips and dip. I found it odd that I made her play a funny game with us. It was such a weird feeling to be standing in my house, as an adult, discussing life, as her peer, rather than as her student. The last time I saw her, Mrs. C. was at my wedding. But, I didn't get time to actually chat with her then. So, really, the last time I saw her, she was my authority figure. But, now, she was just "one of us", showing me pictures of her grandbaby and predicting the gender of all my future children.
How random, yet, kinda cool, too.

1 comment:

Sally said...

I encountered my 6th grade teacher over Christmas, also. My husband's cousin is married to Matt. And Matt is the son of my 6th grade teacher's second cousin. Did you follow me??

Anyway, we found this out this summer at our family reunion. It was really weird how it came about, but I'm so glad it did.

Matt visited my 6th grade teacher over the holidays, then passed his email on to me, and we're back in touch. He's one of my top 5 favorite teachers, EVER. So, it's very cool. =)